Dear Central Ward
I would like to take this opportunity to wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas and a safe and Happy New Year.
This year has been a mixed bag of emotions for many and I hope that the coming twelve months only brings joy and merriment for you.
I would personally like to thank everyone I have had the pleasure of working with this year, especially community groups that have stuck together in tough times. Better times are just around the corner.
I’m so grateful that we live in the best part, of the best city, in the best country on Earth and I’m truly thankful to be your voice in City Hall.
Our office will close today (Christmas Eve) at noon while Robert, Kate and I spend a short break with our families. We will reopen at 9 am on Tuesday 5 January 2021.
Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones.
Vicki, Kate and Robert
Factor in changes to Council libraries, pools and public transport over the festive season
With more people exploring Brisbane over the summer we are encouraging everyone to factor in changes to Council’s most popular facilities and services to their festive plans.
Whether it’s keeping cool in a library or a pool or exploring Mt Coot-tha or the Sir Thomas Brisbane Planetarium, Council’s much-loved facilities will remain open over the holidays apart from a few key dates.
It’s important to factor in date changes to help residents plan and minimise disappointment during the school holidays. For people seeking fun in the sun, our pools will remain open throughout the holidays apart from Christmas Day.
For eager bookworms, all 22 Council libraries across Brisbane will be open and ready to welcome residents over the holidays, but will be closed from Christmas Eve (from 6pm) until Sunday 27 December as well as New Year’s Eve (from 6pm) and New Year’s Day.
Whether you’re prepping for storm season or doing a summer clean, our Resource recovery centres are open from 6.30am to 5.45pm every day of the year, including Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day.
Brisbane Botanic Gardens at Mt Coot-tha is open 365 days per year but the Planetarium will be closed from Christmas Day until Monday 28 December as well as the New Year’s Day public holiday.
Brisbane’s public transport timetables change to fit in with extended Christmas shopping hours and New Year’s revellers.
Buses will operate a Sunday timetable on Christmas Day and a Saturday timetable on Boxing Day and will operate on a normal weekday timetable on New Year’s Eve, with some additional services, including CityGlider and Maroon Glider to help people travel home after midnight.
All CityCats, Kittycats and ferries will run according to the normal public holiday timetables on Boxing Day, Boxing Day public holiday, 28 December and New Year’s Day 1 January 2021.
Understandably the New Year’s fireworks are not going ahead this year in line with Queensland Health safety guidelines, but people are still welcome to visit some of the more than 2000 parks across the city.
All of our parks will remain open, including South Bank and Roma Street Parklands over New Year so people can still enjoy a barbecue and celebrate the end of 2020 in the outdoors.
Residents looking for further information about Christmas and New Year closures are encouraged to head to Council’s website or call Council on 3403 8888.
WASTE & RECYCLING
- Bin collection days remain unchanged.
- Brisbane Bin and Recycling app is available – a useful reminder over the busy period.
- Resource recovery centres open from 6.30am to 5.45pm every day of the year, including Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day.
- All Council libraries will be closed on Christmas Eve (from 6pm), Christmas Day, Boxing Day, Boxing Day holiday, New Year’s Eve (from 6pm) and New Year’s Day.
- Councils 22 pools will be closed Christmas Day and remain open throughout the rest of the Christmas period. Residents are encouraged to check individual pool opening hours.
- The Planetarium will be closed on Christmas Day, Boxing Day, Sunday 27/12, Boxing Day Public Holiday 28/12 and New Year’s Day.
- Victoria Park Golf Complex and St Lucia Golf Links will be closed on Christmas Day but open on all other public holidays.
- Brisbane Botanic Gardens, Mt Coot-tha remains open 365 days per year. Gates will be closed to vehicle access on Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day.
- Mt Coot-tha Visitor Information Centre will be closed Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day.